Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Always A Bridesmaid and Never Bored...

Why do people get married?

In the 1920's it use to be because of arrangements in the old country. For example, my great grandparents from Palermo, Sicily.

These people are not my great grandparents. In fact I have no idea who they are, but they just looked 'arranged'.


In the 40's and 50's marriage was a means of survival & gratitude... in other words stay working on the farm or get married to a returning soldier.
Sporting their grateful honeymoon grins.


In the 60's and 70's it became common to get married because you weren't going to nursing school or court reporting school and you had to get out of your parents home.

Notice that neither are wearing wedding rings...hmmm.


In the 1980's some people got married because they had to cover up being gay OR they were the last in their family's heritage to try and hold on to the tradition of marriage.

My intention was to use all black and white pictures, but this one screams 1980's, and I couldn't pass it up.


In the 1990's people were beginning to get married out of love and pregnancy. Now of course these two have been around for the entire timeline, but people were not hiding either reason any longer.

They look Italian???


(I won't even comment on marrying for citizenship...it just pisses me off!)


In the new century, marriage was considered a right to vote for and fight for among people.





History always repeats itself, so in the past few years I have been in, laughed, to, at, mocked, cried, and uninvited to weddings of all reasons and causes.

My favorite story of all is about a friend, lets call her Katy, who tried to convince her boyfriend, lets call him Kirk, that he should propose soon, because I was trying to get pregnant. Yes you read that right. You see I really want 'Katy' and 'Kirk' to be the godparents to my not yet conceived child, so 'Katy' thought she would pull this one out of a hat... "If you don't propose soon, then we will not get to be the godparents to LiLu's baby."

Oh my gosh! Katy looks just like this!
I tried to explain to her, that the trick is getting someone to marry you because you're pregnant, not because your friend is pregnant. Apparently wine and estrogen filled conversations cause us to have some crazy ideas about marriage.

This Christmas Kirk proposed to Katy, and it wasn't because it was arranged, nor did she need to get off the farm, she didn't need to move out of her parents, neither of them are gay and need a cover up, and she is not pregnant. This proposal was all about love. Love. Real heart felt love.

P.S. I got popped the question too...for the first time ever (and I've been waiting for a long time) I have been invited, by the bride, to attend Bridal Extravaganza and I said, "Yes!"

... I think I will wear white.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment