Tuesday, July 12, 2016

He Ain't Heavy; He's My Brother



As I work on a new project, learning to distress furniture, I decided to listen to some oldies from the Sock Hop era, my father's music.
I listen to it and laugh. 
I listen to it and dance. 
I listen to it and begin reminiscing.

Suddenly, I start to think about one of the greatest men in my life. 
How no one knows me from his point of view. 
No one has seen me through his eyes, whether it was my best moment or my worst. We share something in common only one other person on earth shares, and that is our father. 

My little brother, who is nineteen years younger than me, is one of the greatest men in my life. (You thought it was going to be my dad, didn't you? You haven't been paying attention to my life then.) 
My little brother has only known me since he was six years old, and he put me on a pedestal, but I never knew he would be the one on that pedestal, for me, years later. 

Today is his 28th birthday, and I love him so very much. He makes me proud and everyone who knows him loves him and is very entertained by him. He got the best traits of each parent, and the rest from me. (I often like to take credit for his wonderfulness, and if I'm wrong don't try to persuade me otherwise, because I'm that hard headed, so is he.)

No one else on this Earth knows what it is like to have me as an older sister, but him. 
No one else knows what it is like to be the child of Joe Lucario AND still be proud to carry that last name. 
No one else knows what it's like to reminisce and laugh until we cry or cry until we laugh about our childhood.

…But everyone knows what it's like to love Joey.

Happy Birthday Little Brother! 





2 comments:

  1. Happy birthday joey! Ur sis got it right, u r wonderful, awesome, and loveable! Congrats on everything u have accomplished and many more to go!

    Nice writing Lucario sister (sorry- I forgot ur name)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete