Sunday, January 12, 2014

Oh Girl, He and I Go Way Back


Apparently, when one is diagnosed with cancer we are suppose to suddenly become this spiritual and religious being with an epiphany of all that is God.

Ummmm. Yeah. Okay?
 Listen, I am not about to give that bitch, cancer, any credit for getting me close to God.

God and I go way back. For example, here's a little glimpse of our relationship.

 We were first introduced at the age of seven when he saved my life.   I was meant to be on the boat that accidentally killed my grandfather.

I got to know God real fast when he abruptly took my mother out of an abusive marriage and literally placed her on the road to a life long career where she would later meet her best friend for life, who ironically (maybe not), became my God Mother.

He and I hung out a lot in a hospital chapel before and after he brought my Uncle Terry out of brain surgery, from a softball accident, without any physical or mental disabilities.

I became real familiar, in hindsight, with God when my girlfriends and I did way too many stupid things all through high school & we did not end up addicted, in jail, or dead.

God and I sat all alone in a hospital waiting room when he saved my mother's life after complaining about her knee, which lead to an emergency heart surgery.

I realized God was always around when my Uncle Dan lived with a positive HIV status for over twenty years, beat lung cancer, and went on to live another five years.

God and I were reintroduced when he used my mother's opinion to save my Boo Boo's life, which led to his heart surgery at 2 months old.

Like a pouting and punished child, I followed God's will when he removed a bad relationship out of my life, and held me down the path of becoming a teacher.

I felt God's love when I walked across that stage and was the first in my family to graduate college and follow my dream.

Similar to a parent, God held me together and gave me the quiet strength I needed when I laid next to my grandmother in her hospital bed and held her hand on my 40th birthday. 

God hugged me when he allowed me, along with everyone who loved John, to say goodbye to him last August.

I say thanks to God on a daily basis before I step out of bed each and every day for waking me up.

So you see, don't give, something as dirty and despicable as cancer any credit for anyone being close or knowing God. Instead, know this...he and I are getting to know more about that bitch, cancer, and we've decided her time is up. Since he and I have talked, sat together, argued, disagreed, loved, hugged, broke up/made up and finally appreciated one another, well now we're teaming up and kicking butt starting this week.  Cancer is out of here. 

Besides, God and I...we go way back... and we have a lot of plans left to live out loud.







No comments:

Post a Comment