Wednesday, April 25, 2012

It's My Soap Box and I'll Whine If I Want To.

Who benefits from standardized testing is our theme today, players. (audience oooohhs and aaaaahhs)

Alex, I'll take "Stupid States" for $500

           Answer: Texas
Question: Which state's level of education is near bottom in the U.S.?

Alex Trebek host of Jeopardy...in case you don't know.


Alex, I'll take "Seriously, We Can Do Better" for $800

Answer: Texas should hire educators and administrators who are truly qualified to put kids first            and know what they are teaching as well as create effective programs that have meaningful learning to          all economical statuses and families.

Question: If Texas cuts standardized testing, what could they possibly due with the $160 million dollars they currently pay Pearson Inc?

I think he played a "handy man" in a seedy 70's movie...or it's just the same hair and 'stache.

Alex, I'll take "What A Waste" for $250

Answer: Pearson Inc is the company the state of Texas pays $160 million dollars to for a five year contract who are responsible for creating test, creating publications (which they get more money from these sales to the public), creating remedial programs for those kids bound to fail.  Some politicians use the money for campaign purposes if they make a side deal with such companies.

Question: Who gets all the money?

This Alex Trebek is better than the real Alex Trebek.

Alex, I'll take "The Obvious" for $1,000

Answer: End of the year exams created by a committee of educators by each district that meet requirements for the curriculum taught. Learning will actually become meaningful and students will know they have to keep working until the end of the year.

Question: How will students be held accountable for learning if standardized testing is gone?



Alex, I'll take "I Dare You To Be A Teacher" for Priceless

Answer: Teachers are held accountable for every minute of every day from maintaining class attendance, to continuously reviewing manners and social skills, to lesson planning and improving their own education every school year with professional development.

Question: How will teachers be held accountable for teaching standardized testing is gone?


Okay. Okay. I'm finished with my soap box.







1 comment: