Sunday, February 5, 2012

I Love Samantha Jones. I Just Can't Quote Her.

I have been watching seasons of  Sex And The City for the past few weeks and was wondering where are all the good television shows? There is not one television show that currently is on air that provides women with feedback or confirmation about themselves. Sex and The City did that for me and my friends for several years. There was not a group of 3-4 women who did not assume roles as Miranda, Carrie, Samantha, or Charlotte on Monday mornings at work.

Watching it now, older and assumingly wiser, I wish I had paid more attention to the hidden lessons that aired weekly. Lessons that involved love, fashion and without a doubt, FRIENDSHIPS.

SATC taught us that if you are lucky you get one, possibly two, loves in your life, and similar to the odds of winning the lottery, some may marry one of those loves. For the rest of us, we spend the rest of our years comparing those we meet to the one or two loves.

Charlotte: I've been dating since I was 15. I'm exhausted! Where is he? 



Lesson #2 I clearly do not walk enough. Those women walked every where and in the craziest of high heels. I know it is New York, but still, I feel like a sloth for driving to places now.

Carrie:  The fact is, sometimes it’s really hard to walk in a single woman’s shoes. That’s why we need really special ones now and then to make the walk a little more fun.







Lesson #3 If talking about your sexual experiences with your 3 best friends, mocking it or laughing about any of it is not on your agenda at breakfast, lunch or dinner, then what DO YOU DO with all of your time?

Miranda: Sexy is what I try to get them to see after I win them over with my personality.




Lesson #4 - Fashion is the first impression you give people about your personality. Forget the tone of voice and eyes being the window to the soul, Target ballet shoes vs Jimmy Choo tells people your mood. Animal prints and stripes are the new black. Flowers are no longer for a wedding bouquet, but rather for the hair or left shoulder. In other words, if you like it, it makes you feel better about you, then rock it girls.

Carrie: I like my money where I can see it, hanging in my closet.


Final Lesson -  It's all about your friends. No matter what career you hold, which life crisis you face, or which man you date, in the end your friends are your life line to your history and your truest self.

Mr. Big:  You're the loves of her life, and a guy would be lucky to come in fourth.


No comments:

Post a Comment